Encourage me to stay
- Sometimes I want to leave because I feel distressed or scared
- I know I may not be able to leave – talk to me about why you need me to stay.
- You could say: “We want you to stay so we can keep you safe” rather than explain what happens if I try to leave (For example, calling police or security).
- Explain why I can’t go home / leave.
- You could say “You’re here for the right reasons and it’s important to us that we can give you the help and support you need”.
- Encourage me to want to stay by being kind, caring and talking to me rather than trying to guard me.
- You could say: “If you feel frustrated and want to leave, please talk to me so we can figure something out”